University Challenge - Evidence
Stats in the area
- Half of universities in Yorkshire and Humber don't have rooms for hired carers, forcing disabled students to live at home rather than with their fellow students.
- One in ten universities in Yorkshire and Humber do not have good links with local care agencies and support services.
- The Clearing System disadvantages disabled students as it leaves less than a month to choose a preferred course and university as well as look at access, accommodation and care packages.
- One in ten students will not have accessible accommodation, cooking and dining facilities which are fully integrated into mainstream university life.
- 20% of all university teaching rooms, study rooms and libraries in Yorkshire and Humber are not fully accessible to all students with a mobility impairment.
- Nearly 40% of universities do not provide a freshers' guide to the university for disabled students.